Reality Bites, Ow!

Do you know how it is when you want to do it again after you've just done it knowing full well that you can't and don’t have to? I'm referring of course to having another serious strength training workout after this morning's two-hour session with just myself. Right now, I'm mentally denying my fatigue. Knowing full well that I can't do another bout of self-training exercises mainly because you need some downtime, I'm just ruminating on exercising again. So yeah…it’s that kind of a day.

Anyway while waiting patiently for my doctor's teleconsult this afternoon, I thought it would simply be nice to blog about something, something within the radius of my consciousness or reality because subject matters on TV are really beyond my scope of concern and after gym, TV is my go-to leisure activity at home.

So today, I'm going to blog about what's trending on social media, at least in the Philippines. This is not bashing or ranting about something that some of you may or may not find tastefully offensive. It just so happens that ever since this social media entity has entered our private subdivision, it has entered our physical reality as well and would simply be impossible to ignore, not with the occasional shouts of traffic aides (hired and fed squatters) just outside our gate and vehicular noises of those parking within our vicinity. I'll try to be as objective as I possibly can.

FYI, a Diwata has entered our sacred (aka private) village in the form of a Resto entrepreneur. Not this kind which I think he/she/it wants to be associated with for God knows or any person with an eye for beauty (or even just a regularly-functioning one) can tell he doesn't fit the bill. Quite the opposite in fact. The irony is not lost in me though. Diwata in folklore means deity, a goddess from Sanskrit devata. This person, a vlogger-turned-viral is the epitome of poverty-turned-success story, or so goes his narrative. I have no beef against him. I had no knowledge of him since 3 weeks ago.

It just so happens that he poses as a kind of disturbance to our relatively quiet if not sleepy subdivision and quite literally I might add. In short, he is a rags-to-riches story and people are flocking to his newly-acquired fame, the likes of celebrities and common folk. People like to give him gifts, cars, special favors, wads of money, TV features...friendships in high places you know, like a real diwata perhaps. To add, people are lining up not only for his Pares outdoor Resto in droves but to get a prized picture with him. (Rly?) But let's be realistic, more realistic than his purported fame.

Sure, he comes from a shoddy and shabby (with stories of being bullied and physically abused because of his gender orientation) background and now he's probably earning millions (not so sure) from his claim-to-fame: a Resto named Pares Overload that features unlimited rice, generous amounts of fatty pork and beef combined (sometimes innards), free soft drinks and soup all for the price of less than P150 or $2.54, cheap! Guilty-pleasure trip galore, in other words. Bear in mind however that cheap does not necessarily equate to healthy, at least not in my book. Aha! so herein lies the problem. He's been talk of the small-town internet but this is what "viral" looks like in the Philippines. At this point, he's probably gone beyond fly-by-night pork fat selling sensation and graduated to serious restaurateur (Rly?)

Are you ready to look at him now? Here, just take a look and you be the judge if he's just a flash-in-the-pan kind of guy or if he's the face that launched a thousand shits! Your countenance is giving me no room to explore you more judiciously, Diwata. No hard feelings (like I said I've never heard of you since 3 weeks ago when life here was more blissful) but with all your newfound fortune, maybe it's about time you shape up! Or ship out! Your call.

To save you the trouble in finding out how popular this guy is, this is what you get if you google "diwata pares overload". (You might even find Niall Horan of One Direction fame there. Here.) No offence to Niall.

But thanks to a Food X Bert, this is what Viral looks like in the Philippines!

*Palette 
Cleanser* of a few of my faves this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Ears-ter!

Metro Manila Today: State of the Nation Addressed Re: Our Liquid Assets

Ciao Febbraio!