Yellow Dick Hullabaloo

On October 11, 2019, I posted this Facebook concern on an infamous painting done by Richard Gomez, former UP classmate, Filipino actor and current Mayor of Ormoc City. I want to relive the memory not because I adore the painting. I think it sucks. I just want to make a statement about it on my blog.
--------------------------------------

"I’m confused. Matinee Idol, former UP classmate and politico Richard Gomez has recently joined a Manila art exhibition and this is his prized artwork that is valued and actually sold for P196k. It’s an erect yellow penis against a black canvas with something (dots) coming out of it and painted in a rough way. I don’t know what to make of it as some FB artists think he’s using his celebrity to sell at an outrageous price while some think it’s almost groundbreaking in its message and appeal. I want to ask my friends from here and far to give me an honest assessment of it. What do you think, friends? Is it art or it is highway robbery? You don’t have to be an artist to answer. It would probably be more preferable if you weren’t."

-------------------------------------------
Needless to say, I got several feedback from my friends, 
most of them dismissive of the painting but interestingly not all.

It caused quite a stir in the local Filipino Art Community not because of the excellent execution of a controversial subject matter but because of the obvious absence of it, and its exorbitant price tag to boot. Some if not all artists in the local Art Scene are trying their best not to look stupid and in fact try their best to portray a good National image with their brilliant creations, me included. Apparently, not this guy who holds a public office but is acting like the dick that he is. His nick Goma even means "condom" in street language. So, Congratulations Richard "Yellow Dick" Gomez for simultaneously promoting and demoting Philippine Art here and elsewhere. I hope you're hapee-pee now.


Simply titled "Titing Dilaw" or Yellow Dick




 Here is Goma himself with a female friend curiously wearing matching yellow pumps.


Mayor Gomez being playful or ingratiatingly tactless?

================================

Here's an update: 

I saw some anonymous artist post this on Facebook today, October 18.  It only goes the utter disregard of real Filipino artists with real talent by Gomez's insolent entry.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Ears-ter!

Fuck Imelda and her minions!

Ciao Febbraio!