Queen's Gambit Step by Step

A quick chalk outline of Beth Harmon, chess prodigy on the chessboard, but without the chess pieces. I'm trying to measure and layout the elements on the canvas.


Outlined the figure with Sennelier Mars black and some leftover orange paint for the face.

Outlined the board and blocked in the flesh with some leftover yellow paint I didn’t want to dry up. I can’t wait to continue with this experimental painting tomorrow morning. I keep visualising it in my mind.

I’m happy with the way my “experimental” portraiture is coming along.

Added in the first chess piece, the queen for scale and checkered in the board mint green for white.

Made the background ultramarine & prussian blues and titanium white.
Also made the dress a dark violet with white highlights.

Finally blocked in the chess pieces, the real stars of the show.

Da-da-da-done! My Queen's Gambit and my lucky charm done in the 
Expressionistic style of Russian painter Alexej Jawlensky.
I hope to do more of his style of painting with the appealing color palette he has adopted.
More on the highly-lauded Netflix mini-series here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Ears-ter!

Fuck Imelda and her minions!

Ciao Febbraio!