I’m a Stan for Cezanne


So I was browsing Wikipedia looking for some dirt on Cezanne…
Here’s the result I wasn't hoping for: It’s an oil painting of The Artist's Father, Reading c.1866.

Why I chose this one to reproduce (in watercolor) is actually none of your business. It just strikes me as first, doable and second, relateable. That’s all you need to know. If my father ever sat for me to be painted, this is how I would envision him to be. Of course my father was never one to sit patiently for someone as he was too fidgety. He would however sit on his lazyboy and read the morning paper everytime it’s 8 o’clock and do nothing else until it’s time to inspect the kitchen and eat lunch. He also dabbled in painting a little as well as sculpture with basic, coarse materials but he wasn’t nearly as good or refined as me. Come to think of it, he wasn’t refined at all. He was antagonistic, belligerent and bellowing; but not when he was in his nook reading a book. He was a well-read dad. How he turned out to be such an anti-hero is a mystery for the ages. Maybe reading makes one introspective and ultimately negative? I’m guilty on both counts but I don’t know. I don’t really read voluminously. Maybe I should start reading now to find out for myself and dispel the bad concept. 

As far as I know, I want to picture a father who was actually free from all the noise his mind surrounds himself with, like perhaps the disturbing news of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Ears-ter!

Fuck Imelda and her minions!

Ciao Febbraio!