Life in Plastic, It’s Fantastic!

“I’m not a Barbie girl,
Not in a Barbie World
I’m not Plastic,
But I’m fantastic!

You can’t brush my hair,
Undress me, that’s not fair!
Imagination…
That is my creation!”

By reverse-engineering the first few lines of the popular 1997 Aqua Song Barbie Girl, I managed to get to the crux of the movie or even the heart of the Mattel, which I wasn’t eager to see in the theater in the first place but got to see today on my ‘puter. I loved it especially Ken who can be my boyfriend any given day as I’ve never had a Ken in real life, let alone a Barbie growing up. How’s that for a better “ken” of me?

No, I’m not one to give a review of the movie because if I considered watching the blockbuster hit without having favourable expectations from it, then that’s appreciation in itself. All I can truly say is all the characters were casted well and the accompanying soundtrack was fabulous! Never mind that it was inventively directed by a woman director named Greta Gerwig (first female billion-dollar director) or that it managed to touch on societal mores and conventions in a fun and easily digestible way and was breathtakingly entertaining. Never mind all that. Every aspect of this movie made me look at my own childhood doll heroes, namely The Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man, stuff I really like (and safely stashed somewhere in my happy place)!


Old plastics never die. They just get recycled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Ears-ter!

Fuck Imelda and her minions!

Ciao Febbraio!