My Studio Ghibli Viewing Collection Pt. 1

 








For some reason, I a d o r e Animation. I grew up watching them on TV namely Hanna-Barbera, Disney, Warner Bros. and some Japanese Anime as well and I remember those days when watching TV was all we did everyday (for entire Summers even, interspersed with some actual physical play and occasional fighting). I also love to draw characters I've seen from reading DC and Marvel Comics, etc. that I think jumpstarted my early drawing career, if ever I have a solid career in drawing i.e. (I'm not really sure). So when I went out three weeks ago to visit a brick and mortar bookstore to look for a book worthy of my time and undivided attention (as I also made a vow to read more books this year), I immediately saw Studio Ghibli Coffee Table Art Books that were attractive enough and reasonably priced. It wasn't hard to find and decide on choosing them over the popular best-sellers that were there as they were part of the window-display. Since I had only money and interest to buy one book, I chose Ponyo over Spirited Away after browsing these 2 books in the store, two movie titles I have already come across previously, when I was still downloading random stuff with my Windows computer. I just had to re-download a better quality Ponyo video so I can revisit the movie while enjoying the very cutely-illustrated book and with an iMac built for high-ass multimedia entertainment, it was a no-brainer. It just felt like a complementary and better overall "immersive" experience.


Knowing this was a Studio Ghibli Animated movie and part of a meatier collection, I couldn't stop with just watching Ponyo as they are free torrent downloads, unlike the Art Books which cost moolah (which I need to buy other stuff with, like irresistible Italian yoghurt which I did while deciding to actually purchase the big book and lugging it all the way to the parking area).


So after watching Ponyo which is about a goldfish-turned-ambulatory girl 😆, I watched My Neighbor Totoro about this huggable gigantic tree dweller that protects little children from harm; Spirited Away about this prepubescent girl who tries to save herself and her parents from alien spirits/ghosts who want to consume their family entire; Howl's Moving Castle which is about a simple girl's love story with a wizard name Howl, set in fictitious Europe and an adaptation of a story written by British author Diana Wynne Jones; and just an hour ago, Princess Mononoke about Man vs. Nature or the spirit of the forest(s). Of all these movies I have downloaded and seen so far, I can say I loved Princess Mononoke the most not only for its palette of vivid darker colors but for its concern with how man destroys nature especially the spirits of the forest which we all have to live with whether we like it or not. 


I probably will watch more Studio Ghibli but with the ones I've seen consecutively, I can safely say I really love watching well thought-out & thoughtful, hand-drawn animated movies with a particular reverence for the Female protagonist or heroine I can easily relate to. I used to be a trainee for Fil-Cartoons and was actually accepted to work as an in-betweener but had to stop before I could start because apparently, my "imaginations" at that time were wilder than what that rented factory/studio had to churn out. Anyway, it was all about the learning experience for me. It still is. So kudos to legendary creator and co-founder Hayao Miyazaki. I'm all geared up to watching more, more, Morpork (whatever that means 😁).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Ears-ter!

Fuck Imelda and her minions!

Ciao Febbraio!