Friday, June 16, 2017

Rocky

Watercolor is both hard and easy. It's a fairly easy medium to use yet takes a lot of mastery to make it worth your while. I admire the watercolor artists I see on Facebook, especially those who make landscape/urban art, maybe because I don't know how to do those. Anyway, as I want to learn doing portraits first, I'll stick with this genre for today. My art journal offering is of Sylvester Stallone (an artist/expressionist himself) as Rocky. I slaved over the skin-tone for an hour from 5 in the morning to 6 am...or was it earlier? I didn't want to treat it loose and transparent afraid I wasn't going to capture his likeness at all.  As usual, there's room for improvement but I'm learning. I must say Holbein WC is good even when used thickly and opaque.

Not to self: I noticed I choose my reference pictures carefully. Otherwise, how do I keep my inspiration while I attain likeness? I have to keep this in mind though for my future projects.

P.S. RIP John Avildsen, Director of both Rocky and The Karate Kid.

I think I penciled a good likeness of Rocky.
But look how dramatic a simple sketch turns when painted in!

1 comment:

smit gaekwad said...

Thanks for providing such nice information to us. It provides such amazing information on care/as well
Health/. The post is really helpful and very much thanks to you. The information can be really helpful on health, care as well as on
examhelpline tips. The post is really helpful.